Enter or edit your payroll service key
When you purchase QuickBooks Payroll, you are assigned a 16-digit service key that is specific to your EIN and payroll service. You must enter this service key into QuickBooks to activate the payroll service in your QuickBooks file.1.Obtain your service key. It usually comes by e-mail.
- If you do not have your service key, use our automated Service Key Retrieval tool. You will need to sign in using your Intuit Account If you are unable to retrieve your service key using this tool, contact us. The automated tool may not work if:
- There are multiple payroll orders in our system for your company.
- You purchased your payroll product from a retail store.
- Business phone number you provided did not match what Intuit has on file.
- Open the QuickBooks Service Keys window.
- If you do not have a payroll service in your company file, choose Employees > Payroll > Enter Payroll Service Key
- If you do have a payroll service in your company file, choose Employees > My Payroll Service > Manage Payroll Service.
3. In the QuickBooks Service Keys window:
Select Add, if no payroll service is listed.
Select Edit, if a payroll service is listed.
Select Edit, and take note of the service key.
Remove payroll service key in QuickBooks Desktop
Select Next and then
When the Payroll Update message appears, select OK.
Verify the Service Status shows ACTIVE and then select OK.